NROTC students sponsor blood drive

Military officers and students who showed up for the Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps blood drive Friday said they came for the same reason – it is an easy, free way to help save someone’s life.

Midshipman Greg Skelton, one of the organizers of the event, said the NROTC decided to hold the drive because the national blood supply is low.

The blood collected in this drive will be taken to the military blood system in Bethesda, Md., Skelton said. The military blood system primarily provides blood for military hospitals and clinics but shares blood with other hospitals if the need arises.

Every unit of blood will be used, said Skelton, who is a graduate student and a teacher at GW. You could save someone’s life. That’s an amazing thing.

Skelton said the goal for each drive, held once a semester, is between 25 and 50 units. Each person donates one unit of blood which is 450 milliliters, or about a pint.

Skelton said he advertised mostly through word of mouth in his classes and within the ROTC.

Jenny Marcellino, a senior and public relations coordinator for NROTC, said she gives blood a few times year.

Everyone should donate because you could need blood next, Marcellino said.

Midshipman Stephanie Henefeld said she gives blood every time we’re allowed, which is every 60 to 80 days.

Skelton said he considered the day to be a success. Nearly 40 units of blood were collected and no one passed out from donating. NROTC plans to to organize another drive for March 10.