GW changes class schedule after inclement weather

GW students will be attending extra classes in May to make up for snow days last Tuesday and Wednesday.

In a memo released Tuesday, Craig Linebaugh, associate vice president for Academic Planning and Special Projects, wrote that May 4 will be the designated make-up day for classes that were canceled last Wednesday, Jan. 26. He said May 4 will serve as a regular Wednesday even though the distributed memo mistakenly said May 4 would be a designated Tuesday.

There is no mandatory make-up date for classes missed Jan. 25, but faculty will be able to schedule make-up classes May 5, according to the memo. This schedule was adopted because there are 15 scheduled Tuesdays, and 14 scheduled Wednesdays on the academic calendar, Linebaugh wrote.

May 4 is designated as a make-up day in the GW planner, while May 5 marks the beginning of reading days. According to Linebaugh’s memo, the remaining reading days will leave enough time for students to prepare for exams. If professors choose to conduct classes Friday May 5, that would leave just three reading days – Saturday, Sunday and Monday – before the start of examines.

Don Lehman, vice president for Academic Affairs, agreed to the plan,Linebaugh said.

(The make-up policy) really doesn’t make any difference to me because a lot of professors schedule classes anyway on reading days, senior Jon Morales said.

That’s kind of a bummer to have May 5 available for classes, junior Celeste Lebeda said. She said the optional make-up day is inconvenient because she works all day on Fridays, and she usually needs reading days to catch up on post mid-term reading.

Students in the law school are on a different make-up schedule, according to a memo distributed Tuesday from Roger Transgrud, associate dean for Academic Affairs. Under this plan, faculty members are responsible for scheduling their own make-up classes, but two dates are suggested for the extra class time.

Transgrud wrote in his memo that Presidents’ Day (Feb. 21), and the first day of the GW Law School reading period (April 26) can be used for re-scheduled classes. Other suggestions, such as adding a few extra minutes to every class or holding make-up classes on Friday or Saturday mornings, were included in the memo.

Barbara Porter, director of Public Affairs, said she is aware of only two other events that need to be rescheduled.

Both events are a part of the Millennium Seminar program, a series in which schools and campus academic organizations explore education in the new millennium, said Lynn Shipway, special assistant to the vice president for Administrative and Information Services. Shipway said a joint program among the Columbian School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business and Public Management, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, was canceled Tuesday, and a program featuring the Mount Vernon campus was canceled Thursday.