Lawrence has the inside game for GW

This Diaper Dandy is the real thing. For anyone who has watched the impressive 16-3 women’s basketball team play this season, they know one special thing about GW – they play as a team.

That’s why it was so easy for freshman forward Erica Lawrence to make such an impact. On other teams, players might be intimidated by a freshman starting every game, but Lawrence feels comfortable on this talented team.

That’s the beauty of this team, everyone can do everything. We are all talented and we all can play, Lawrence said. Anyone can start and do well. We all contribute and pick each other up.

Lawrence battled early on in the season with being pushed around by some of her more physical opponents. In women’s college basketball a prototypical power forward has both size and strength. Lawrence on the other hand, stands at 6-0 and uses her athleticism to battle her opponents under the boards.

Speed and agility are the only thing I have going for me right now, Lawrence said.

It is obvious that her mobility is what makes her such a threat. Entering this weekend, Lawrence was averaging just over nine points a game while leading the team in field-goal percentage (55 percent). More importantly, she contributes a much-needed 4.5 rebounds per game (second to junior Starr Jefferson, who has 6.8 a game).

In preseason workouts, Lawrence made an impression on her new teammates as well as the coaching staff and surprisingly gained the early starting position in McKeown’s experienced lineup.

Lawrence said the transition from high school to college basketball is very difficult. Generally a swingman in high school, Lawrence was forced to adapt to a new position at a higher level.

When I was in high school I did it all, I played every position, Lawrence said. When I got here I thought I would be playing the two or the three (positions), but I am working hard at becoming a low-post player and am comfortable playing that position now.

The Colonials are back on a winning streak after defeating La Salle and Fordham this weekend. Lawrence said the team is excited about the challenging home games that await.

We can’t wait for Virginia Tech and the chance to avenge the loss against Xavier, Lawrence said.

GW, which also hosts a tough St. Joseph’s team next Sunday, is a perfect 11-0 at home this season.

We have a lot of home games coming up, Lawrence said. Playing at home really is an advantage because it’s kind of hard winning on the road.

A seasonlong goal for GW is to play hard and play together, something that Lawrence said comes naturally to everyone.

We really have a great group of girls, Lawrence said. We all work hard and practice hard. Everyone has helped me in juggling basketball and school, in their own way.