Jon Stewart takes center stage at GW

You know his name but more likely you know his face. It’s quite recognizable. But then again, so is the name Jon Stewart.

Stewart will take the all-be-it impromptu stage Thursday, Feb. 3, in GW’s Smith Center. Tickets are on sale at Ticketmaster for $8.

In January 1999, Stewart replaced Craig Kilborn (who now fills the slot following David Letterman’s The Late Show) as the host of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show. Unfortunately, unless you have digital cable, you may never have seen the show because GW students and District Cable subscribers do not get Comedy Central.

Luckily, Stewart has done a slew of things to gain name recognition. He hosted a half-hour talk show, The Jon Stewart Show, on MTV (a channel you do receive) before it was upgraded to a one-hour show for national syndication.

Stewart also has dabbled in other areas of television outside of the talk-show circuit. He played himself on HBO’s The Larry Sanders Show, starring Garry Shandling. Stewart worked as a creative consultant for the series.

But, Stewart’s work in the industry doesn’t end with television. Actually, it didn’t even begin with television. Stewart, a New Jersey native, began as a stand-up comic in New York City. He kicked his career into fast forward with appearances on The Late Show with David Letterman and HBO’s Young Comedians Special. Then he went to television and kept moving through the different Hollywood fields.

After hitting stand-up and television, Stewart moved into the feature-film realm. He starred opposite Gillian Anderson from the X-Files in Playing by Heart. He also played the leading role in The Faculty, a horror-comedy, and appeared in the silly flick Half Baked. Stewart also has plans for more films in the works.

Stewart also has spread his wings into the book-writing arena, one of the more difficult areas to tackle. However, he has succeeded there as well. His debut book, Naked Pictures of Famous People, which was released in September 1998, is a collection of what-if essays. The book appeared on a few best-seller lists, including an impressive appearance on the biggest of them all – The New York Times Best-seller List.

Stewart will be up to his usual antics when he hits GW Thursday. Buy your tickets now before it’s too late.