Colonials Ram over Fordham, sweep weekend

The GW women’s basketball team overpowered La Salle and Fordham this weekend at the Smith Center as GW improved their perfect home record to 11-0 this season.

GW currently holds a 16-game winning streak at the Smith Center, ranking it among the top active women’s home winning streaks in Division I.

The Colonials (16-3, 7-1 Atlantic 10) used the leadership of senior guard Elisa Aguilar and the inside play of junior Petra Dubovcova as GW now looks forward to a huge matchup with Virginia Tech at the Smith Center Wednesday night. GW defeated the Hokies earlier this season 76-64 in Blacksburg, Va.

GW 87, Fordham 41
Sunday, Jan. 30

GW destroyed visiting Fordham 87-41 Sunday at the Smith Center.

The game was no contest as the Colonials sent Fordham (3-16, 2-6 A-10) back to the Bronx in a hurry. The Colonials’ came out strong, grabbing an early 22-1 lead when freshman Erica Lawrence scored with 13:16 remaining. GW’s 44-16 lead at halftime was sparked by senior Elisa Aguilar, who scored 15 points (6-of-8 from field) in nine first-half minutes.

I was really proud of Aguilar today, said Coach Joe McKeown, according to a press releasre from GW Sports Information.

The second half proved to be a continuation of GW’s domination over Fordham as GW outscored Fordham 14-0 to begin play.

Fordham’s 27 percent shooting (15-of-55) for the game was a season-low for a GW opponent. GW shot an impressive 60 percent from the field (38-of-63) and went 8-for-12 from three-point range. GW’s 30 assists in the game was two shy of the school record of 32 set earlier this season against Seton Hall University. Aguilar had seven assists, while freshman Lindsey Davidson dished out a career-high 11 for GW.

GW 72, La Salle 56
Thursday, Jan. 27

It wasn’t the easiest of games for GW as the Colonials struggled at the start, but they still were able to outmatch La Salle 72-56 Thursday at the Smith Center.

It took GW nearly five minutes to score a field goal, but Dubovcova’s three-pointer tied the game at 5-5. The Colonials scored the next 14 points in a five-minute span.

Dubovcova’s 20 points (8-of-16 from field) led GW as she and Aguilar were hitting on all cylinders. Many of Aguilar’s seven assists were to Dubovcova, who found inside position against challenging La Salle forwards. The senior guard led the team despite taking only four shots in the game. Aguilar was a perfect 6-for-6 from the free-throw line for nine points overall.

Aguilar’s floor game is phenomenal, McKeown said.

The Aguilar-Dubovcova connection helped GW increase a 31-22 halftime lead to 36-22 three minutes into the second half. Aguilar fed Dubovcova underneath for a layup, and then the junior nailed one of her three three-pointers on the next GW possession. La Salle never got within double-digits after the early Colonials’ run.

Senior Starr Jefferson, who missed easy layups early, played only four minutes in the first half because of foul trouble. She returned to put up a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds in 24 minutes of action.

(Jefferson) battles. She’s the ultimate overachieving 5-10 post-player, McKeown said.

GW out-muscled La Salle (6-12, 1-6 A-10) 46-36 on the boards as the Colonials completed the season sweep of the Explorers.