Fireworks fee remains unpaid

Former Student Association members returned fireworks they ordered while still part of the SA, but cancellation fees remain unpaid, a Zambelli Fireworks Internationale official said.

George Zambelli, the president of Zambelli Internationale, said he mistakenly told former SA President Phil Meisner and current Joint Committee of Faculty and Students Co-Chair Cat Sadler that they would not have to pay the $810 cancellation fee in October. But he now plans to bill Mesiner and Sadler, Zambelli said.

Sadler said she hoped to use the fireworks during Greek Week or Homecoming after Mike Gargano, assistant vice president for Student Academic and Support Services, turned down their proposal to use the fireworks on the Quad during a movie event.

Sadler said she received written and verbal confirmation from Zambelli Fireworks Internationale that there will be no cancellation fee applied to anyone involved with the order.

We have a bill from them that shows we owe $0, Sadler said.

Zambelli said he did not take into account the cost of packaging and shipping of the fireworks when he told the former SA members they would not owe any money. He has not contacted Meisner and Sadler to collect the cancellation fee.

If billed, Sadler said she would refuse Zambelli’s request.

I would fax (Zambelli) a copy of (the bill) and tell him that this is a problem, and we have two contradictory things, Sadler said.

Though Meisner and Sadler were acting as representatives of the SA when they contacted Zambelli Fireworks Internationale, Zambelli said he does not hold the student organization accountable for any agreement made with Meisner and Sadler.

The former SA members should not involve the organization in any financial disputes with Zambelli Fireworks Internationale, Gargano said.

(The SA) is still tied in that (Meisner and Sadler) were officials of the SA, but I think it’s an issue (they) need to resolve, Gargano said.

No SA funds will be used to resolve financial matters with Zambelli Internationale, Sadler said.

Obviously, students aren’t going to pay, she said.

Student Activities Center officials did consider using fireworks during The Event Formerly Known As Homecoming, but the fireworks were not from any contract with Zambelli, said Bridget Cooper, assistant to the vice president for SASS.