Streak ends at 12

The GW women’s basketball team saw its 12-game winning streak come to an end Saturday as it lost 68-55 to Xavier.

The loss gave the 24th-ranked Colonials (14-3, 5-1 A-10) a split in Ohio after the Colonials dominated an out-matched Dayton team 82-66 two days prior.

In both games over the weekend, GW put both its opponents on the foul line more than 20 times and were outscored 42 to 13 from the line.

The loss to Xavier will probably cost GW its national ranking as Saturday marked GW’s first loss since Nov. 27, when the Colonials lost the Southern Methodist University championship to the host Mustangs.

The Colonials will look to improve their shooting and get back to their winning ways Thursday evening when GW takes on La Salle at the Smith Center. The game is the first of four straight home contests for GW that include huge match-ups with Virginia Tech and St. Joseph’s.

Xavier 68, GW 55
Friday, Jan. 22

It was a dismal day from the perimeter for GW as the Colonials’ 12-game winning streak was snapped 68-55 to Xavier at the Schmidt Fieldhouse.

GW shot under 30 percent from the field (20-of-67, .299), and the Colonials were outscored by two touchdowns (21 to 7) from the foul line.

Senior Starr Jefferson put forth one of her better offensive performances of her career as she led GW with 15 points and nine rebounds. The game saw the healthy return of junior guard Kristeena Alexander, who played only two minutes against Dayton Thursday because of flu-like symptoms. Alexander scored nine points in 23 minutes of action. Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week Erica Lawrence went 0-for-8 from the field and was held scoreless in 26 minutes.

Xavier’s Reetta Piipari scored 20 points in the game to lead all scorers and led two crucial runs in both halves to escape with the win. The Musketeers (15-3, 5-2 A-10) went on a late 12-0 run at the end of the first half to take a 32-20 halftime lead. GW was able to cut the lead to 55-50 late in the contest after consecutive three-point field goals by junior Petra Dubovcova and Alexander and a pair of free-throws. But Xavier went on an 8-0 run to extend the lead to 63-50, and the Colonials never got the deficit into single-digits again.

Senior Elisa Aguilar and freshman Cathy Joens combined for an 8-of-31 shooting performance (4-of-14 from three-point range) for GW. Xavier went 7-of-18 from behind the arc, and Piipari drilled them (4-of-5) when she needed to. Taru Tuukanen posted a double-double for Xavier with 11 points and 18 rebounds.

GW 82, Dayton 66
Thursday, Jan. 20

The Colonials shot 65 percent in the first half and routed the host Dayton Flyers 82-66 in Thursday’s contest at UD Arena.

The win marked GW’s 12th consecutive victory and gave the Colonials a perfect 9-0 all-time record against Dayton (8-9, 3-3 A-10). Dubovcova led four double-digit scorers for GW with 16 points and eight rebounds. Joens came off the bench and shot a perfect 4-of-4 from three-point range. The freshman finished the contest with 13 points in only 19 minutes. GW who held Dayton to 39 percent shooting in the game (22-of-57, .386).

Alexander’s layup basket finished a 13-0 run that extended the early GW lead to 24-8 with 12:56 remaining in the half. GW’s halftime lead of 47-22 was became a 27-point advantage with 6:17 left in the game when junior Corrin Reid stole the ball at half court and went in for a layup.

GW did commit 27 fouls, almost doubling Dayton (14) in the game as the Flyers outscored the Colonials 21-6 from the foul line. The Colonials committed 21 turnovers in the game but outscored Dayton 24-13 in points off turnovers.