McCalla dominates invitational

The GW gymnastics team beat out five other schools for the top spot at the GW Invitational in front of 500 fans at the Smith Center Sunday.

Sophomore Devin McCalla out-paced the competition in three of the four events to lead the Colonials to victory.

The team’s score of 191.875 was GW’s highest this early in the season in the 15-year tenure of Coach Margie Foster-Cunningham. McCalla led the way for GW as she earned first place in the uneven parallel bars, balance beam and the floor exercise. She finished second in the vault but had no problem taking first in the all-around scoring. McCalla’s bars score of 9.875 tied sophomore teammate Jessica Mantak (13th all-around) for fourth all-time in GW history. Fellow sophomore Darden Wilee was impressive as she took home third place honors for the all-around.

Devin was phenomenal, Foster-Cunningham said. There is still a lot of room for improvement (on the team), but great leadership from senior Erica Lewy has made the team much closer and easier to coach.

Foster-Cunningham, whose squad dropped its opener last week to North Carolina State University, reiterated that the teams’ goals are high this season, but she and McCalla both expressed that more support for the team on campus would be nice.

Support is growing, said McCalla. But it’s not where it should be. Most people think that the only sport on campus is basketball.

Following GW in the order of finish at the Invitational were the University of North Carolina, the University of Pennsylvania, Temple, the College of William & Mary and Radford University.

GW next hits the mats Jan. 29 at William & Mary. The Colonials host Maryland Feb. 7.