Dorien Brown asks about transfer

Sophomore guard Dorien Brown has talked to Coach Tom Penders about possibly transferring, Penders confirmed Sunday.

Yeah, he has (talked to me about transferring), Penders said. He wants to play more, and he feels it’s tough for him with Chris (Monroe) and Mike (King).

Brown has struggled all year with a fracture on his right foot and has seen only 17 minutes of action, seven of which came against Siena College after Penders was ejected.

With the production of freshman swingman Chris Monroe and the signing of forward recruit Shawn Davis, it would appear unlikely that Brown, whose most memorable game came last January when he hit a three-pointer late in a victory at Rhode Island, would see significant action if and when he is healthy enough to play.

He’s a great kid, and I don’t like kids transferring unless it’s for the right reason, Penders said. And if he’s being honest with me that he wants to play more, that’s fine. There’s been nothing wrong with his attitude. He works hard.

Brown, who was unavailable for comment, would be GW’s second departing transfer student under Penders, joining guard Andry Sola, who transferred to Drake University for similar reasons. Brown originally planned to join Penders at the University of Texas but followed him to GW when he took the head coaching position here.

If Brown departs, the Colonials could have up to five scholarships to play with next year. One already belongs to Davis, one will go to transfer Attila Cosby, while one more scholarship is also available. And if, as previously reported, Patrick Ngongba’s scholarship becomes available, and Brown transfers, up to five fresh faces could join GW as soon as next season.

-David Holt