Students celebrate diversity

Students draped in traditional clothing performed skits, danced and shared traditions of countries from India to the Caribbean in Saturday night’s Spin the Globe world tour in the Marvin Center.

Organized by the South Asian Students Association, the fourth-annual Spin the Globe celebration began with a multicultural dinner followed by a cultural display. Performances ranged from Salsa dancing to reading poetry. The event concluded with a fashion show that included fashions from countries ranging from India to Caribbean nations.

The event was intended to be an enjoyable event for all students who were interested in an evening of multiculturalism, said Shweta Udeshi, president of SASA.

It was just for fun, Udeshi said. It was a chance for different organizations to showcase their talent.

Udeshi said she was pleased with the number of people who showed up to see Spin the Globe.

Considering how close to finals we are, I think it was pretty good (turnout), and I think people enjoyed the show, she said.

Udeshi said, if anything, the event was lacking diversity among audience members.

Tabith Awal, the co-emcee and co-vice president of SASA, said the goal of Spin the Globe was to foster diversity.

It’s just great to see that all the diverse crowds and cultures in George Washington University can one night come under one roof and perform and share their heritage, culture, tradition, Awal said.