Thirty seconds of relaxation banishes stress till vacation

If you can’t remember the last time you didn’t feel like pulling your hair out, stomping your feet and crying like a baby – you might be stressed. Even if this isn’t exactly you, anyone who has felt the irritating sting of anxiety once in a while can give these stress-busting tips a try, says Dr. Diane DePalma of the University Counseling Center. Who knows? Maybe you’ll just relax.

Breathe, baby, breathe

Close your eyes and clear your mind. Inhale slowly through your nose, feeling your lungs expand and fill with air. Consciously relax any part of you body that feels strained. Exhale slowly through your mouth, releasing negative tension. Repeat three to four times.

Be your own cheerleader

Negative thoughts are a main source of stress, though most students aren’t even aware of them, says DePalma. Practice speaking positively to yourself. Encourage yourself before a challenging project or exam and congratulate yourself on a job well done. Use positive thinking to tell yourself you are calm and relaxed, even if you think you are not.

Take a mental vacation

Visit the world’s most exotic locales and make it back in time for dinner at J Street. For this one, close your eyes and envision the most peaceful spot you know. It can be a tropical beach or your bedroom at home. Either way, focus on this place for a few minutes. Imagine the color of the trees, the fabric of the furniture, the scent of the ocean and the way the wind sounds. Remember how calm you are in that place and bring that feeling back home when you open your eyes.

Loosen up

Stress hits your body hard, says DePalma, making work efforts even more excruciating. It can affect everything, including the back, stomach, heart and head. To remedy some muscle pain, try closing your eyes and relaxing your body. Starting at the top, slowly clench muscles, hold for a few seconds, then relax them to release stress and fatigue. Do this for several minutes.

-Gayle Horwitz