GW updates its systems for Y2K

GW updated all of its systems for Y2K compliancy, said Dan Drageset, Year 2000 Project Manager.

Drageset said GW started working early on the possible problems related to the year 2000 computer glitch.

We started about two years ago, Drageset said. We really don’t expect anything bad to happen.

Drageset said the University is prepared to deal with any power outages or computer problems that might arise as a result of Y2K. GW used outside consultants as well as internal staff to fix any Y2K problems that were present.

Drageset said GW’s computer problems were easy to fix because many of the University’s main computers were provided by outside companies, which already figured out ways to fix their products’ Y2K problems.

Extra precautions have been taken to ensure that student financial and academic records will remain safe. Drageset said hard copies of student financial and academic records exist in case of any problems.

All departments of the University have Y2K contingency plans in case power outages or computer problems occur.

Emergency power supplies are available in case of a power outage. Drageset said the University took extra precautions making sure that University laboratories, which contain potentially perishable items, had backup power supplies.

Drageset said the University has done all that is needed to prepare for Y2K. But he said GW has no control over outside circumstances.

The worst-case scenario would probably be a power outage, Drageset said.

According to a recent letter sent to students by GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, the residence halls on the Mount Vernon and Foggy Bottom campuses will be closed from Dec. 31 through Jan. 3. Plans to create an emergency shelter in the Smith Center in case of power or water outages are in place.

Drageset said he believes the number of problems the University will experience because of Y2K will be minimal. He suggested students should prepare for Y2K the same as they would for a snowstorm or other weather-related problems.