Meisner launches new student group

Removed Student Association President Phil Meisner, along with former members of the SA executive cabinet, launched a new GW student organization this week.

The group, called Students Helping Students, was developed to maintain some of the initiatives Meisner and his cabinet began while holding positions in the SA, said Catherine Sadler, who remains the co-chair of the Joint Committee of Faculty and Students and is a member of the new group as well.

The reason for starting this new organization was to work on projects without the politics of the SA, she said.

The group of about 30 students continues to work on initiatives such as GW-opoly, the Major Advising Cabinet Program and the Student Advocacy Service, Sadler said.

But SA President Caity Leu said these projects remain SA endeavors.

The more organizations helping students the better, Leu said. But any project that was started with SA funds is still an SA project.

Students put their hearts and souls into these projects and will continue to work on them despite leaving the SA, Sadler said.

Sadler said no member of Students Helping Students will be impeached or removed.

In the meantime, Meisner declined to comment about allegations that he is intending to sue members of the SA Senate in civil court.

I have been advised by my attorneys not to comment on any ongoing legal matters, Meisner wrote in an e-mail.

-Zeb Eckert contributed to this report.