News Briefs

GW’s Board of Trustees adds new members

GW’s Board of Trustees recently elected four new members including businessman and Washington Capitals co-owner Jonathan J. Ledecky, Marsellis-Warner Corporation President and CEO Philip Samuel Amsterdam, lawyer C. Michael Carter and Henry Ric Duques, CEO of First Data Corporation.

Amsterdam, Carter and Duques are GW alumni, according to a University press release. Amsterdam graduated from GW in 1962 with an undergraduate degree in sociology. His daughter attends GW’s medical school.

Carter received a law degree from GW in 1973 and serves on a variety of boards including GW’s School of Business and Public Management’s Board of Advisors. His daughter attends GW’s medical school.

Duques got his undergraduate degree and MBA from GW in 1965 and 1969, respectively. He serves on the boards of directors of Unisys Corporation and theglobe.com. Duques’ wife and one son graduated from GW, and his daughter is an undergraduate in the class of 2002.

Ledecky is a local D.C. businessman who founded three publicly traded companies. He participates in a variety of community service programs around D.C.

–Steven Postal

SBPM sophomore starts eNrich

The series of interactive workshops that make up the eNrich program began Nov. 15. The eNrich program, which focuses on building literacy, was founded by sophomore Amanda Silverman of SBPM.

Silverman said the gap between academia and the Internet creates a large opportunity cost for students, and she formed eNrich to make members of the program, who range from freshmen to MBA students, aware of these costs and to create a think tank.

The first meeting featured Andersen Consulting employees and focused on electronic commerce. The 11 consultants, all GW alumni, taught the advantages of Internet business through a lecture and a group project.

-Christina Perrotta

D.C. residents discuss campus plans

Foggy Bottom residents gathered to discuss campus planning and its effects on the neighborhood Tuesday.

Residents and students of the Foggy Bottom community were invited to establish an open dialogue. While members of the panel did not want to initiate disputes concerning GW, residents in the audience were eager to discuss their problems with the University. The forum was sponsored by the Ward 2 Democrats, a local organization of the Democratic party, and hosted by News 4 reporter Tom Sherwood.

Residents were clearly upset at what they believe to be a GW takeover of the historic neighborhood.

Foggy Bottom resident Dr. Don Kreutzer asked the board, How can you allow for the campus to have a plan and then allow the institution to become a cancer?

His comments were greeted with applause from the audience, despite Assistant Vice President of Government Relations Bernard Demczuk’s attempt to address the issue.

Our relationship with Foggy Bottom is very good. he said. We generally give to the community.

Demczuk said GW’s campus plan has already been made available for viewing and said GW is more than willing to discuss it with community members.

Beth Solomon, communications director of Ward 2 Democrats, said she feels residents are not getting an answer.

We’ve heard from GW that they give a lot to the community, but no direct answers, she said.

Andrew Altman, the District’s new planning director, said there can be a positive relationship between GW and the surrounding community.

It’s important to look at the University in context of the surrounding area, he said.

Beth Solomon said she is eager to bring GW students into campus planning issues.

The residents want to see the students have a good experience while they are here, she said.

Olga Corey, a board member of the Foggy Bottom Association, said she is more than happy to live next door to GW students.

It is time to make sure that this neighborhood and GW realize that we need to live together, she said.

-Maria Comella

U.S. Senate appoints GW alumnus ambassador to China

GW alumnus Admiral Joseph W. Prueher was confirmed by the U.S. Senate to be ambassador to the People’s Republic of China, according to a University press release.

Prueher, who earned a master’s degree in international affairs in 1969, was the 1999 Commencement speaker for the Elliott School of International Affairs.

Prueher has a distinguished career in the U.S. Naval Academy, according to the press release. He is the second graduate of GW’s Elliott School of International Affairs to serve as U.S. ambassador to China.

-Steven Postal

UPD updates fake ID situation

Students who purchased fake IDs from a Thurston Hall resident arrested last week will have a one-time offer to turn in their IDs and avoid federal prosecution.

Several students already turned in IDs last week.

The reason why students have not been notified (of their University sanctions) is that UPD hasn’t finalized their report, said Dolores Stafford, director of University Police. It won’t be finished until after the deadline on Friday.

Students who own fake IDs can turn them in at Woodhull House, room 205, Friday between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

According to a UPD news bulletin released Tuesday, if a student cannot turn in their ID during those hours, they need to contact UPD at 994-6948 before the deadline to make other arrangements.

Students who turn in their IDs will minimize their sanctions from the University.

The computer equipment seized by law enforcement officials last week stored information of all individuals who purchased an ID, according to the bulletin. Students who do not cooperate could be subject to an administrative search of their room, judicial action and criminal prosecution.

Stafford said the UPD-compiled report will be sent to the office of Student Judicial Services.

-Jason Steinhardt