D.C. Diary: Get out of class free

November 16, 1999
J Street
12:00 p.m.

One hour prior to Convocation, this reporter was unsure as to what the event would entail. A walk around J Street generated varied responses, ranging from the clueless to the knowledgeable, the enthusiastic to the indifferent. Some students believed that a speech delivered by President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg was in store for the afternoon, others guessed that lectures would be given. Estimated time of the event: two to three hours.

I have no clue (what it is about), said freshman James Crandall. I’m just going to sleep. Plans for a free afternoon mingled with those who planned to attend. I know it’s some guy getting an award, I think, predicted freshman Jonathan Guidroz.

Others wondered about what would take place in Lisner Auditorium.

Isn’t it about the millennium or something? junior Daven Doshi asked. I just know it’s called the Millennium Convocation.

Junior Nadia Behr was eager to attend Convocation.

I’m going to miss class today, and I like going to class, she said. I don’t know anything about it, but I’m going out of curiosity.

It seemed camaraderie and millennium commemoration fell second to missing class from 12-3 p.m. on the list of students’ reasons for celebrating Convocation. Robed professors began to converge from across campus as the truth about this mystery event prepared to be unveiled.

Entering Lisner Auditorium to the tunes of the University Wind Ensemble provided some answers to the questions about Convocation. Apparently, the University spared no expense on the afternoon’s formalities. A sense of fellowship flavored the environment as the band broke into an airy march, and colorfully vested faculty members filed into the barely one-quarter full auditorium.

Trachtenberg welcomed those in attendance and addressed the relation of GW and year 2000 compliance. He plugged an upcoming series of millennium seminars slated to be held at GW throughout the new year.

The goal of these seminars is to examine the way in which technology, philosophy, sociology and science will come together to form a new outline of our universe, he said.

2:05 p.m. sidewalk outside Lisner Auditorium

Millennium T-shirts in hand, students gave mixed responses to Convocation.

It was interesting, but it wasn’t very exciting, said senior Stephanie Lair. Some said their expectations of the event were not fulfilled.

We thought there would be more people, more spirit, more enthusiasm for the millennium, said senior Joy Richmond.

Whether the Millennium Convocation was an educational afternoon or two hours sans class, students reveled in the afterglow of a free afternoon.