SA reports office theft and takes precautions

Student Association members reported a theft in the SA Thursday.

Parts of the SA’s Ricoh copier, two boxes of forms and a box containing various office keys were reported stolen, University Police Director Dolores Stafford said. She said the theft probably took place sometime between Wednesday night and early Thursday morning.

Stafford said whoever committed the crime seemed to have access to the SA office, which is located in room 424 of the Marvin Center. There was no evidence indicating forced entry, Stafford said.

UPD is continuing to investigate the crime and has asked for a list of individuals who had keys to the office.

In the meantime, newly appointed President Caity Leu said SA members who want access to the office temporarily have to go to room 400 before checking into the office.

Leu said the SA is taking common-sense precautions to assure this does not happen again.

She said all of the EAFs (expenditure approval forms) were stolen and said that posed a problem for a little while. Undergraduate Sen. David Burt (at large) said the EAFs have since been returned. The stolen keys are preventing SA members from opening drawers like the SA Book Exchange file. But Leu said most of the keys have been replaced and any remaining problems should be rectified soon.

She said the photocopier should be running and the test file should be operational again Monday.

Leu said the office remained functional despite the setbacks and added that the office is pretty much back to normal.

Other people who work in the Marvin Center should not be alarmed, because the thief seemed to have access to the office, Stafford said.

She said, according to the UPD report, someone reported that the suspect may have been a supporter of Phil Meisner, who was removed from the SA presidency last week. Stafford said no one has found proof that the perpetrator was a Meisner supporter. Meisner was unavailable for comment.

-Theresa Crapanzano contributed to this report.