News Briefs

Latinos consider stereotypes

Several Latino groups held a discussion about the social and cultural stereotypes associated with Latinos Wednesday night in the Marvin Center.

Sandra Gutierrez, president of Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad, and the main organizer of the event, said one of the purposes of the discussion was to promote interaction and bonding within GW’s Latino community.

There’s people who go to GW who don’t even know that there are other Latinos out there, she said.

The evening began with several announcements from Latino internship programs and representatives from a Latino fraternity, which passed out brochures and introduced students to its missions. After the announcements, everyone was divided into individual groups to make lists of stereotypes assigned to Latinos. After the individual groups finished their lists, they presented them to the group. People were then free to discuss any of the stereotypes that each group cited.

Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad, La Unidad Latino, Latino America Unida, a non-University organization, and Latinos For Progress sponsored the event.

-Reshma Jhaveri

Speaker educates students about Muslim women

Manah Omar, who works with the American Muslim Council, spoke to students Thursday about the role of women in Islam.

There are a lot of perceptions of Islam women that are not reality, Omar said. She said Islamic women are not second-class citizens or submissive and said they do not lack choice.

A lot of people think that because we are covered in clothing, and have to walk behind the man that those things are true, Omar said. But the men have to dress and act in certain ways as well.

Non-Muslim students who were interested in learning more about the culture dominated the question-and-answer session.

The more and more I learn about Islam it reminds me so much of my religion – Christianity, junior Chad Parry said. After all the events this week, I definitely want to be involved in the Muslim Student Association. It is really interesting.

I think it was fabulous that she touched upon questions that most non-Muslim students have, sophomore Sadia Asghar said.

-Josh Gerben

Professor honors release of new book

The Mount Vernon Women and Power Leadership Program held a book party in honor of GW Professor Adele Logan Alexander’s new book Nov. 10.

Her new book, Homelands and Waterways: The American Journey of the Bond Family 1846-1926, is a compilation of her research about her African-American heritage, beginning with her great-grandfather John Robert Bond and continuing through her mother’s generation. Alexander relates her family’s saga to the suffering of all African Americans.

One student said the book is compelling and said it reads like fiction.

Executive Dean of the Mount Vernon campus Grae Baxter, said that Alexander, who has been an assistant professor in GW’s history department for five years, has a rich personal history, a rich family history and is a great woman.

-Christina Perrotta

GW celebrates Arab culture

GW students gathered to celebrate Middle Eastern culture Saturday night at the Celebration of Arab Culture in the Marvin Center Ballroom.

It is not only a chance for Arabs to come together, but for non-Arabs to come and see what our culture is like, said Arab Student Association President Maha El-Sheikh, whose organization sponsored the event.

The festival featured a taste of Arab cuisine, with common dishes such as falafel, hummus, couscous and baklava. After the feast guests were treated to traditional Lebanese dancing by the GW Debkah team and a fashion show that featured an array of Egyptian, Jordanian and Lebanese apparel. Raffle tickets were sold to benefit needy Middle-Eastern children, and prizes included a trip for two to Jordan.

Following the show, the disc jockeys pumped up the Arabic music and attendees filled the dance floor. The party was so crowded that University Police ushers had to turn people away at the door.

-Corey Cooper