GW splits matches, closing in on A-10s

The GW women’s volleyball team split its final two home matches of the season as GW defeated Dayton and lost to Xavier at the Smith Center. If GW (15-9, 10-6) splits its final two games next weekend at Rhode Island and Massachusetts it ensures itself an Atlantic 10 Tournament berth.

Xavier 3, GW 0
Saturday, Nov. 13

Xavier spoiled GW’s senior night honoring Gabriela Mojska and Theresa Ridder Saturday as the Musketeers swept the Colonial women 3-0.

Riding a two-game winning streak and facing a Xavier team that got swept over the weekend at Virginia Tech, things seemed to be in GW’s favor. But despite Mojska’s 16 kills in her final home match for GW, the Colonial women were outmatched against Xavier.

GW fell in the final game 15-10 as Xavier’s 22 kills overwhelmed the Colonial women. The middle game of the match was also won by Xavier, 15-10. The Musketeers pounded 22 kills in this game to dominate GW.

The opening game saw GW get hammered 15-3, setting the tone for a tough night for the Colonial women. GW was out-pounded 54-35 in kills for the match and committed 11 more errors than Xavier. The Colonial women’s attack percentage of .054, a combination of 35 kills and 28 errors in 130 total attempts cost GW greatly.

GW 3, Dayton 1
Friday, Nov. 12

The Colonial women defeated Dayton 3-1 Friday night, led by junior Renee Arnold, who pounded 25 kills in the contest.

GW won the close final game of the match 15-13. The Colonial women had their match-high 25 kills in the final game. Mojska led GW in the final game with 23 kills.

Dayton dominated the third game 15-4 as the Lady Flyers crushed GW to get back into the match. Dayton had 19 kills and only four errors in the game. GW had a .109 attack percentage of 12 kills and seven errors in 46 total attempts in the third game. It was GW’s worst attack percentage of the match.

GW won the second game 15-6 behind Arnold and junior Julie Jahnke. Janhke had nine kills for the match, many coming in the second game. The Colonial women had 15 kills and only two errors for the commanding victory.

GW jumped out to an early lead with a 15-8 victory in the opener. GW’s 22 kills were enough to hold off the Lady Flyers.