Students sell dates for charity

Contestants broke out their Austin Powers impersonations, hula-hooping skills and musical talents during the Chinese American Students Association Date Auction in the Mitchell Hall Theater Friday.

The 23 auctioned dates, or the goods as Masters of Ceremonies Jenni Suen and Martin Kim called them, had two choices once they arrived on stage: play a game of truth or dare or show off one of their talents.

A crowd of about 70 people offered bids ranging from $9 to $150.

Freshman Chris Tai was the first to break the $50 bid mark. He paid $65 for a date with Sonia Ahn, saying peer pressure was the reason for his bid.

Later in the evening, Hoon Joo carried his $100 date, a surprised Amanda Ho, off the stage.

I was aiming for $25, Ho said.

The highest bid for a male was for Gary Sun, whose break dancing routine won him a $90 price tag.

Freshman Alex Nimmannit offered $150, the highest bid of the night, for a date with Suen.

It’s for charity. She’s a good person, and it will be fun, Nimmannit said after his unprecedented expenditure pushed the night’s totals past the $800 mark.

Winning bidders and their dates could either set up their own dates or choose to go on the group outing, which will include dinner and a movie, with other couples.

The event topped last year’s date auction in both attendance and money raised. A portion of the proceeds will be contributed to the Homeless Walk of Washington, D.C., and the Taiwan Earthquake Fund.

This year’s auction was a lot bigger than last year’s, Kim said. The event draws all sorts of people, representative of all student groups, and it’s a fun environment.