HOVA hosts `October Orgy’

Administrators and students in the Hall on Virginia Avenue participated in a game, called October Orgy, designed to show students how quickly sexually transmitted diseases could spread through unprotected sex, said seventh floor Community Facilitator Maureen Fleming.

In the game, held in the last week of October, each student was given five contraceptives, and students were supposed to have sex with anyone they wished. That meant signing each others’ official October Orgy Sexual History Card.

Students had a choice of whether to use their contraceptives when they had sex. To simulate real life, a few HOVA students were selected at random to receive a sexually transmitted disease.

These students were not informed of their conditions until the end of the game. Contracting a non-life-threatening STD would take 10 points from a student’s final score in the orgy, and a life-threatening STD would take 20 points away. Students earned 5 points by having sex or could earn 20 points at once if they remained abstinent.

Karen Veltri finished first with 150 points, Lesley Moss in second with 125 points and Max Gustashaw in third with 95 points. Of the 171 students participating, 75 chose abstinence, 56 students contracted at least one STD and 37 contracted more than one disease. Forty students were able to have sex without contracting any STDs.

According to the Orgy’s results sheet, the goal of the October Orgy was clear: The moral of the story is, if you are going to have sex, be safe – use protection. Or better yet, practice abstinence.

The Orgy was a huge success because of the turnout as well as the message that the results sent, Fleming said.

Student reaction was mixed.

I thought it was a great idea, but I was just too lazy to participate, freshman Alex Krot said.