1. Xavier. Last season: 25-11 (12-4, 2nd), NIT semifinals; Skip Prosser, sixth year (106-45)
After losing three stars, one might ask how Xavier could still win the West. The answer is Darnell Williams. If all goes well, another NCAA berth is likely.
2. George Washington. Last season: 20-9 (13-3, 1st), NCAA first round; Tom Penders, second year (20-9)
If inexperienced Colonials put it together by February, the A-10 West could be theirs again.
3. LaSalle. Last season: 13-15 (8-8, 3rd); Speedy Morris, 14th year (215-169)
Donnie Carr hopes to lead the Explorers out of the basement.
4. Dayton. Last season: 11-17 (5-11, 5th); Oliver Purnell, seventh year (67-77)
Mark Ashman will help Dayton to finally push the A-10’s upper echelon – as soon as Purnell can figure out how to win on the road.
5. Virginia Tech. Last season: 13-15 (7-9, 4th); Ricky Stokes, first year
Rolan Roberts and Dennis Mims look to make Tech’s last year in the A-10 a memorable one, but without Eddie Lucas, it’ll be hard.
6. Duquesne. Last season: 5-23 (1-15, 6th); Darelle Porter, second year (5-23)
Perpetually rebuilding in Pittsburgh.
1. Temple. Last season: 24-11 (13-3, 1st); John Chaney, 18th year (380-160)
Lamont Barnes, Mark Karcher, Pepe Sanchez. It’s Chaney’s best shot at his first Final Four.
2. St. Joseph’s. Last season: 12-18 (5-11, 5th); Phil Martelli, fifth year (68-55)
Andre Howard leads an experienced team that should bang well on the boards and shoot from all over the floor. No player who can take over a game, though.
3. UMass. Last season: 14-16 (9-7, 3rd); Bruiser Flint, fourth year (54-41)
UMass will be carried by Monty Mack, a potential All-American.
4. Fordham. Last season: 12-15 (5-11, 6th); Bob Hill, first year
Explosive trio of Alejandro Olivares, Jason Harris and Bevon Robin will try to make NBA coach Bob Hill a winner in the Bronx.
5. St. Bonaventure. Last season: Last season: 14-15 (8-8 4th); Jim Baron, eighth year (93-109)
Tim Winn almost topped Shawnta Rogers in steals last year, but this team is likely to remain in the cellar.
6. Rhode Island. Last season: 20-13 (10-6, 2nd); Jerry DeGregorio, first year
Ed Bell is the go-to guy, but all eyes will be on Zach Marbury, Stephon’s brother.
-Zach Kancher and David Holt