Student groups defend films

The Ministry of Unreal and Project 2501, GW’s Japanese animation club, threw an interesting party for everyone at a movie night Saturday in the New Hall Piano Lounge, Project 2501 President Ling Taylor said.

Members watched horror and science-fiction films, including some popular anime films. Anime is a Japanese form of animated entertainment with mature themes that sometimes contains extreme violence and nudity.

The evening started with a showing of the anime made-for-TV movie Vampire Princess Miyu and continued with John Carpenter’s Halloween. Students participated in pumpkin-carving and costume contests for anime and science-fiction videos.

Members of the two groups said they feel certain people are biased against anime because they don’t understand it.

Anime is no different than violent American films, said freshman Mikhail Koulikov, the vice president of Project 2501.

He said he predicted that Disney’s upcoming release of Princess Mononoke, Japan’s most popular anime in history, will change the public’s opinion of this genre for the better.

The Ministry of Unreal and Project 2501 were both founded in 1997. Project 2501 was revived this year after a year of near inactivity and is having an active start, Taylor said.

(The Ministry of Unreal has) been off to a rocky start this year, but we’ve been working with the RHA and Project 2501, and we’re doing a lot better, Ministry of Unreal President Justin Cutler said.