Foes shut out GW in final matches

The GW men’s soccer team finished its season with two Atlantic 10 road losses this weekend at St. Joseph’s and Temple.

The Colonials (3-12-2, 2-8-1 A-10) were not able to carry over the success they had in Ohio last weekend when they defeated Xavier and tied Dayton. In both contests in Philadelphia, GW fell behind in the first half and was not able to score a goal despite having 23 shots in the two games.

The Colonials were outscored 31-17 this season and were shut out five times in conference play.

Temple 1, GW 0
Sunday, Oct. 31

There were no final-game treats for the Colonials as GW lost a Halloween day match 1-0 at Temple Stadium.

Temple’s lone goal was scored in the first half when sophomore Matt Kaufman beat GW goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich on a feed from senior Kevin Kelly. Kelly’s assist was his team-leading 29th point of the season.

GW forced Temple goalkeeper Drew Moser to make eight saves. GW managed nine corner kicks in the contest, and Jelencovich made two saves in the Colonials’ final match of the season.

St. Joseph’s 2, GW 0
Friday, Oct. 29

St. Joseph’s shut out GW 2-0 ending the Colonials’ two-game unbeaten streak at Finnesey Field Friday.

The Hawks took the lead for good when junior sweeper Matt Cox scored on a penalty kick in the 26th minute. Sophomore Ryan Dougherty added a goal in the 81st minute for St. Joseph’s.

GW goalkeeper Nick Parypinski made four saves in the contest. The two teams combined for 50 fouls in the match, including the ejections of GW’s Jason Holloway and St. Joseph’s Kevin Schmidt.