GW hears the truth about social issues from `Real World’

Drinking, AIDS and a little bit of kung Fu breathing were thrown into a discussion led by Real World personalities Montana and Kaia at Lisner Hall Wednesday night, kicking off Greek Week.

Promising to bring The Real Truth from The Real World, two stars from MTV’s popular documentary series opened up the program with clips from the television program showing instances of alcohol abuse.

Kaia, who is part of this season’s Real World cast, commented on part of the video that showed a fellow cast member from the Hawaii house, Ruthie, after she passed out from drinking too much.

None of us were different from her the moment before she passed out, Kaia said. The clip was glamorized.

During the first half of the program, Montana, a former Boston cast member, told the story of her mother and brother, whose car was hit by a drunk driver when she was 15 years old. She said her brother almost died as a result of the accident, and her mother still walks with a limp. Montana said watching Ruthie get drunk and then hopping into a car on the show brought much of that emotion back.

People get the idea that it’s cool and rebellious to go and do something like that, but it’s not, she said. It’s like – you want to be rebellious, great – go get your nipple pierced, but don’t kill someone.

Midway through the show, Kaia asked all audience members to stand up and breathe in through their nose and out through their mouth and then listen to those around them breathe. She said she learned the importance of breathing in her kung fu class and thinks college students need to learn to breathe if they are going to fight the problems of the world.

During the second part of the program Kaia spoke about her father, who died of AIDS-related complications when she was 18. She used this experience to offer advice to students about safe sex and abstinence.

I practice abstinence, and you know why? she asked. Nobody moves me enough, in any way, intellectually or physically, to make me risk my life. I like myself that much.