WRGW celebrates live music talent

WRGW will finish Octoberfest, an in-studio performance series, despite the cancellation of a backstage interview with They Might Be Giants, which was scheduled to air Saturday and Sunday.

The interview, originally intended to be the centerpiece of WRGW’s grand opening, was canceled along with the band’s appearance at the 9:30 Club last weekend.

The goal was to showcase the station, Music Director David Rauikoff said. We want to be a functional radio station as well as a source of music on campus.

WRGW integrated major-label bands such as The Hippos and Bif Naked and local bands, including Bazena, Cheap Children and Colouring Lesson, into an extensive programming schedule for October.

Regardless of the cancellation, both Rauikoff and the station’s disc jockeys said they are pleased with community response to Octoberfest.

We have had everything from just the staff, to crowds outside when bands show up, Rauikoff said. Sure it is great to have a bunch of concerts, but it is also a great learning experience.

I think it is really cool that we can be an outlet for local bands and national labels as well, WRGW DJ Elizabeth Warner-Osborne said.

Wednesday night’s lineup will showcase GW talent with three student bands – Waterstreet, Michael and H-Rate. The series will wrap up with an Oct. 30 performance by The Shyness Clinic, a Boston band, and a performance by The Pilfers on Halloween night.

It is really great to get to see these bands play live, said Stefanie Greenberg, a DJ who helped add the New York band In Between Blue and Waterstreet to the concert series. The hallway was filled for Bif Naked. The more well-known top-30 bands are getting a great response. WRGW requires DJs to play Top 30 bands for at least one-third of their time on the air.

Visits by national bands may be a learning experience as well.

A lot of this is student-run, Rauikoff said. We don’t have a lot of experience. Anyone can get involved in this type of activity.