Swimmers top Navy

The GW women’s swimming and diving team opened its season with a win over the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., Saturday.

Wins for the Colonial women included the 200-yard medley relay (Shauna McBreatry, Nell Friar, Rachel Smith and Ashley Orchard), the 800 freestyle (Jennifer Skinner), 100 backstroke (Laura Clemens), 100 breastroke (Friar), 50 freestyle (Smith), 200 backstroke (Clemens), 200 breaststroke (Friar), 400 freestyle (Skinner), 100 butterfly (Smith), 200 individual medley (Jocelyn Finch), and the 400 freestyle relay (Smith, Orchard, Ashley Pyka, and Skinner).

I wasn’t sure how we were going to do, said GW head coach Dan Rhinehart. I knew we could win if a few things went our way, and we ended up winning a lot of close races.

Rhinehart said that despite the win Saturday, the Colonial women aren’t yet as good as they can be.

We know we have a lot of work to do, he said. Hard work and determination is our theme this year. We know we’re going to have a lot of hard-fought dual meets this year.

Rhinehart pointed out that particularly strong performances came from Friar, Smith, Orchard, Skinner and Clemens, who were all involved in at least two wins apiece.

The win Saturday marked the second consecutive year that GW topped Navy. The women’s and men’s teams will travel to Duquesne Oct. 31.