Soccer ends skid

The GW men’s soccer team defeated Xavier and tied Dayton during its weekend trip to Ohio. The Colonials (3-10-2, 2-6-1 Atlantic 10) will finish the regular season as they travel to St. Joseph’s and Temple next weekend.

GW 1, Xavier 0
Sunday Oct. 24

GW junior Zak Adams put a deflected shot on goal past Xavier goalkeeper Paul Wesseling in the final 30 seconds of Sunday’s first sudden-death overtime period to give the Colonials a 1-0 victory over the Musketeers (4-12-1, 1-8 A-10). Wesseling saved the original shot, a free kick struck by GW senior Evan Nierman, but the onrushing Adams made the most of his opportunity, sending Xavier to its eighth A-10 loss.

GW 1, Dayton 1
Friday Oct. 22

GW tied Dayton (7-6-2, 3-4-1 A-10) at Baujan Field Friday, snapping the Colonials’ five-game losing streak. The Colonials scored first in the match when freshman Andre Cardim headed in GW’s goal in the 31st minute. Fellow freshman Riccardo Forno and sophomore Jason Holloway assisted on Cardim’s second goal of the season.

The Colonials lost their halftime lead in the 47th minute when Dayton sophomore Wade Fischer received a pass from teammate Emmanuel Ayim and beat GW goalkeeper Nick Parypinski. GW survived an aggressive Dayton attack, as Dayton outshot the Colonials 25-5 for the match.

-Zach Leibowitz