News Briefs

? ??

Theta Delta Chi sponsors PararelaysMore than 25 people showed up on the Quad for Theta Delta Chi’s fourth annual Pararelays Oct. 23.

The event, which is part of Disability Awareness Week, was open to the whole GW community.

It’s important to raise disability awareness among students, said Mike Donaldson, philanthropy chairman and treasurer of Theta Delta Chi.

Teams of four participated in goal ball and sit-down volleyball in male, female and co-ed divisions. In goal ball, participants are blindfolded and have to get a ball in the goal. These games are designed to allow participants to experience what it is like to have a disability.

The event was really fun and taught me a lot about disabilities, participant George Shapiro said.

Guest speaker Jennifer Martinez from the Muscular Dystrophy Association spoke about disabilities. She also brought along a family with muscular dystrophy so students could visualize what it is like to have the disease.

All proceeds, which came mainly from the registration fee for the event, benefited the Muscular Dystrophy Association. All participants received a free T-shirt, and there was a barbecue after the speaker and the races.

-Stacey Mittin

Hillel freshmen are in the game

More than 300 freshmen are participating in the Hillel-sponsored game of Go FYSH.

The game matches up freshmen with each other by dividing the FYSH – First Year Students of Hillel – into pairs of two.

The game began Oct. 14 when each FYSH received a unique fish button with only one match. The game, sponsored by Hillel, is the idea of Karen Krantweiss, the Jewish Campus Service Corps Fellow for Hillel.

It’s a great way for the Hillel freshmen to get a chance to meet each other, Krantweiss said.

When FYSH students find their matches, they are eligible to receive a prize, including gift certificates to the GW Bookstore, Tower Records and Lindy’s Red Lion Pub. The two grand prizes are tickets to see Phish in concert and tickets to a Washington Wizards game at the MCI Center. Both prizes will be awarded at the end of November.

Students are wearing the buttons on their backpacks and putting them up in their residence halls, Krantweiss said.

Programs like Go FYSH incorporate a strong sense of community at Hillel, members said.

Daniel Jaffe, a participating freshman, said the people at Hillel are the most friendly people he has met on campus.

A bunch of the guys are like big brothers to me, he said. I have people feeding me and showing me how to get around GW.

So far Jaffe has found other students wearing their Go FYSH buttons but has not found his match.

I’m waiting for someone to come up to me and say, `Hey, that’s my button!’ Jaffe said.

Jaffe is interested in the prospect of meeting other FYSH but also wants a prize.

I’m just trying to find my match, he said. I want the Phish tickets.

-Marie Horrigan

Colombian Student Association protests for peace

A white flag of peace and the Colombian yellow, blue and red waved side-by-side in a peace demonstration on the Ellipse Sunday.

A continent away, on the streets of Colombia’s cities and villages, more than 10 million people marched to demand peace.

No more war, no more killings, native Colombians shouted in Spanish. Colombia united will never be defeated.

Members of GW’s Colombian Student Association joined passionate protesters who marching with flags, banners and picket signs.

I want to live! I want to shout! With my flag, I want peace! demonstrators shouted.

For more than 30 years civil war has divided the country. The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, a guerrilla anti-government group, and the country’s government were scheduled to meet Sunday in La Uribe, Colombia, to renew peace talks.

-Bryce Bittner

GW residence halls will close for winter break

Most of GW residence halls will close during winter break this year, said Andrew Sonn, associate director of Housing Services.

Sonn said the decision to close the residence halls was not directly influenced by Y2K problems.

The decision was made on the basis of security and safety measures, as opposed to the fear of the lack of electricity in the residence halls, Sonn said. Students are being asked to exit their residence halls within 24 hours of completing their fall semester final exams, as has been University policy in recent years. The halls will close from 12 p.m. Dec. 22 to 8 a.m. on Jan. 15, 2000.

There will be exceptions for those students whose circumstances require that they stay at GW during winter break. The Aston, The Dakota and Guthridge Hall will remain open.

Housing Services chose to exempt some upperclassman residence halls from the hall closings because nearly all freshmen return home during winter break.

Students wishing to stay on campus will be permitted to stay in Guthridge Hall with the consent of a resident of Guthridge Hall. Students living in Guthridge Hall, The Dakota and The Aston, as well as those requesting to reside there over the break, must submit an exception form to the Housing Services by Nov. 1.

Students who choose to remain in residence halls during the break will be billed $175.

-Andrea Tucker

Dimock Gallery to host student show

The GW Dimock Gallery will hold a student show Nov. 11 through Dec. 3 in the lower level of Lisner Auditorium.

The show will feature recent works by undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in fine arts classes.

The exhibit will include about 100 works spanning many different media, including ceramics, design, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture and visual communications.

Many of the works will be available for purchase as well.

The gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

– Theresa Crapanzano