Colonial women dominate

The Colonial women dominated their weekend matches against Fordham and Duquesne, sweeping their Atlantic 10 opponents at the Smith Center.

GW’s offense tallied 111 kills over the weekend, giving up a combined 56 kills to its overwhelmed opponents. Junior Renee Arnold led the Colonial women with a weekend attack percentage of .480, pounding 26 kills and only three errors in 46 total attempts. The Colonial women (12-7, 7-4 A-10) find themselves in the playoff hunt as they put their three-match winning streak on the line at La Salle and Temple next weekend.

GW 3, Duquesne 0Saturday, Oct. 23

GW overmatched Duquesne Saturday, giving the Colonial women their first weekend sweep since they defeated hosts Duquesne and Fordham Sept. 17-18. Arnold, senior Gabriela Mojska and junior Julie Jahnke led the Colonial women, who controlled the net-game against the Lady Dukes (9-14, 3-8 A-10) the entire match.

We were tied for third place before the matches so this weekend was very important, Mojska said. We were consistent, and we used to have problems with the bottom teams because we would play down to their tempo.

In the final game GW jumped ahead early, pounding 20 kills and winning easily, 15-5. GW’s dominance at the net was evident as the Colonial women outblocked the Lady Dukes 15 to 2.5.

The middle game won by GW 15-9 was the closest of the match. The Colonial women committed their game-high total in errors with six while pounding their game-low total in kills with 17. Mojska added to her match-high 20 kills in the second game and was helped by junior teammate Tracee Brown, who had nine kills and one error for the match.

GW stormed out of the gates with a 15-5 win to begin the match. The Colonial women hit 25 kills and committed only three errors as GW set the tone for the match. Jahnke contributed some of her nine block assists and 12 kills in the first-game victory, and junior Jill Levey added 44 assists and 18 defensive digs for the Colonial women.

Julie was blocking really well, and Jill is very consistent, Mojska said. I think the coaches were satisfied with the way we played.

GW 3, Fordham 0Friday, Oct. 22

The Colonial women dominated Fordham 3-0 Friday as GW swept the season series for the second-straight year. Mojska had a match-high 14 kills for GW and Jahnke added 10 for the Colonial women, who finished with a 49-21 advantage in kills.

We played pretty consistently, Mojska said. Everyone was playing really well.

GW won the final game of the contest 15-8. GW ended strong, producing its highest total in kills with 19. Fordham did not have a player finish with more than seven kills.

The Colonial women won the easy second game 15-2, as GW’s consistency and Fordham’s sloppy play contributed to the result. GW had 12 kills and only three errors in 24 attempts as the Colonial women put up their best attack percentage of .375. Fordham managed only two kills in the game while committing a match-high eight errors.

GW beat Fordham 15-8 in the first game to set the tone for the weekend. Fordham’s game-high 12 kills were its best of the match, but GW’s 19 kills overwhelmed the Lady Rams in the end. Levey contributed 30 assists and 14 defensive digs for the Colonial women.