Sports Briefs

GW goes scoreless – gets tie, loss

The Colonial women couldn’t muster a goal over the weekend while visiting St. Bonaventure and Duquesne and fell to 2-12-1 (2-4-1 A-10) in the Atlantic 10. The 12 losses ties the school record set in 1983 and 1984. The team already set the record for consecutive losses.

At St. Bonaventure (5-6-2, 2-3-1 A-10) in Olean, N.Y., Friday, the Colonial women notched their first scoreless tie of the season behind sophomore goalkeeper Shannon Ashfield.

At Duquesne (7-7-1, 5-2 A-10) Sunday, GW gave up goals in the 26th, 46th and 58th minutes to fall 3-0. The Colonial women have been shut out seven times this season and have been outscored 36-11.

Champney at it again

At the Potomac Invitational Relays at Georgetown, the GW men’sand women’s swimming teams finished second with 194 points behind American and ahead of Georgetown, Catholic and Howard.

Senior Tim Champney set a pool record in the 100-meter backstroke (:50.22). Junior Alvaro Fortuny set a pool record in the 100-meter breaststroke (:58.52).

Golf competes in Pennsylvania

The GW golf team came back down to Earth after their victory two weeks ago. At the Lehigh-Stabler Intercollegiate in Bethlehem, Pa., this weekend, GW finished 10th out of 16 teams with a score of 624. Rutgers University won the tournament.

GW had a 309 the first day, but the second day saw the Colonials get off to a slow start.

“We were expecting to be in the hunt,” said Coach Scott Allen, “but we started off a little further back than we expected, and it was discouraging for the guys.”

Sophomore Bryan Derdenger was the highest-finishing Colonial (78-73 – 151). Junior Gavin Parsons was right behind at 74-78 (152).

Next weekend, the team competes in two tournaments, which Allen described as being key to finding out how good the team is. The first, the James Madison Invitational, will include the top 20 schools in the area.

-David Holt

Water Polo falls to 5-14

The Colonials lost three at the New England Invitational, Saturday, falling to the New York Athletic Club 16-9, UMass 12-7 and Queens College 10-9. -Jason Lipschultz