Late goals shock Colonials

The GW men’s soccer team lost two painful home games during the weekend as Duquesne and St. Bonaventure each scored late goals to defeat the Colonials. GW (2-10-1, 1-6 A-10) looks to end its five-game losing streak (its second of the season) at Dayton Friday.

Duquesne 1, GW 0
Sunday, Oct. 17

The Colonials lost 1-0 to Duquesne (9-4-2, 6-1 Atlantic 10) at South Riding Field in a game painfully symbolic of GW’s seasonlong second-half woes. Duquesne substitute David Gingrich scored with 18 seconds remaining in a GW-dominated game to stun the home team. The questionable goal came when Gingrich gave himself an open-net shot by tapping the bouncing ball with his hand over sliding GW goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich.

GW played without sophomore Ted Tucker because of a yellow-card accumulation suspension but still outshot the Dukes 13-3. Opponents have outscored GW 15-5 in the second half this season.

St. Bonaventure 2, GW 1
Friday, Oct. 15

Tomasz Niedzweicki of St. Bonaventure (7-7, 5-1 A-10) caromed his free kick off the left post with 1:33 remaining to defeat GW 2-1 at South Riding Field Friday. GW played a man down early in the second half when freshman Matthew Osborne drew his second yellow card of the game. GW had eight yellow cards and committed 32 fouls in the physical contest. GW senior Evan Nierman netted his third goal of the season, a 22-yard free kick with two seconds remaining in the first half.

St. Bonaventure’s Tom Lemmon scored his conference-leading 17th goal in the 76th minute when his shot at the top of the GW box hit the left post and caromed in the goal.