Jazz professor hits high note on tour

You’ve probably never heard of a Hammond organ, but audiences in Japan are crazy about the instrument, which incorporates both hands and feet to weave a unique sound.

“It’s the kind of (sound) that was popular in the ’60s but is now having a resurgence,” said Peter Fraize, coordinator of jazz studies for the GW Music Department. “It’s become extremely popular in Japan.”

A type of electric organ on which musicians play bass notes with their feet and the keyboard with their hands, the Hammond organ is a featured instrument in The Greg Hatza Organization, Fraize’s four-piece jazz band. It will leave for a tour of Japan Oct. 30.

The four-man band, which includes electric guitar, drums and Fraize on saxophone, will perform in the country for three weeks, primarily at the Blue Note jazz club, a franchise of the popular New York City venue.

The Greg Hatza Organization has been together for about seven years, but Fraize first joined the band two years ago. After filling in on one gig with the group, they asked him to join.

“A little international recognition never hurt anybody,” said Fraize of his upcoming trip. “I’ve never been to Japan. It’s a new experience, and I’m really excited.”

Fraize has been around music nearly all his life. Both of his parents were part-time musicians when he was growing up, and his mom was a professional piano instructor. He said an elementary school music teacher turned him on to jazz and improvisation.

Fraize began playing the saxophone in fifth grade. He switched to tenor saxophone in high school, where he formed his first jazz group, Moments Notice. The band frequently played in the northern Virginia area and was featured at the Wolf Trap International Children’s Festival in 1983.

He studied at the Northeastern Conservatory in Boston, majoring in education. But he dropped out of that program to focus on performing.

Living in the Netherlands for four years, he attended the Royal Conservatory in Holland, and studied in the Jazz Performance program. While there, he toured and performed throughout Europe.

In 1989 Fraize traveled back to the D.C. area. He eventually hired two GW adjunct faculty members, David Marsh and Jim Levy, to play in his band. Later, they told him about an opening in the jazz department. Fraize joined the GW faculty in 1994.

In addition to coordinating the jazz studies program at GW, he teaches saxophone and coaches two ensembles.

“When I was in school, I specifically did not want to teach,” said Fraize. “But now I find it so rewarding. It’s really a challenge to communicate music. You can teach someone the fingerings on a saxophone or music theory, but getting someone to understand the music is difficult.”