Hackneyed jokes, dumb ideas plague Sandler’s latest album

Adam Sandler has lost his creativity and originality in his latest endeavor. Stan and Judy’s Kid (Warner Bros.) lacks the inspiration on which previous Sandler albums and movies have thrived.

The best song on the album is a continuation of an old Sandler song. “Chanukah Song Part II” gains a few laughs but is nothing new. “Cool Guy 1” through “Cool Guy 5” is an attempt to find as many dumb names as possible to use for the male reproductive organ. None of them are even mildly amusing.

“The Psychotic Tales Legend of Uncle Donnie” is demented. It is 11 minutes of cursing in a Boston accent and tells of Uncle Donnie using his stolen boat to kill three people. Listening to a motorboat chopping up people usually does not evoke laughter from listeners. “Welcome My Son” tries to poke fun at parents’ paranoia about their children smoking marijuana. Yet, the song fails to be humorous.

“Inner Voice” describes what goes on in a man’s mind when he meets a woman. The entire concept is unoriginal. If it were the first time this idea had been pursued, it would be funny, but this concept has been a long-time focal point of comedians.

“7 Foot Man” can only be described as dumb. The song is about the problems of being tall. Sandler gives examples such as ski boots being too small. The lack of humor that plagues this album also is exhibited on “Hot Water Baby Burn.”

Stan and Judy’s Kid contains one comedic-rock song. “Dee Wee (My Friend the Massive Idiot)” is about a person who is a moron. Dee Wee cannot do anything right and uses the f-word in every sentence. Although the song is humorous, after 30 seconds of the track, the listener becomes bored.

Sandler used to be funny. His sketches on “Saturday Night Live” and his movies used to be something fresh and imaginative. Unfortunately, all good things have to end. On his latest album, he uses the same jokes he did a few years ago. Obscenity in a Boston accent is funny the first time but not the fifth. Instead of using his ability to move into uncharted territory, Sandler relies on the jokes that made him big. And he comes up empty.