GW races in Jersey

The Colonial crews raced at the Princeton Three-Mile Chase on Lake Carnegie last weekend in Princeton, N.J. GW’s preseason success has brought anticipation that they are moving in the right direction for the spring.In favorable weather conditions the crews placed solidly in several events. In the men’s heavyweight four, GW placed ninth. The men’s varsity also placed its boats ninth and 15th in the heavyweight eight.The women’s varsity placed 11th and 18th in the open eight. The Colonial women placed 14th and 17th in the open four. Coach Steve Peterson had anticipated better results in the open eight, but he stressed that it was a learning experience for the women. He said they started off strong but lost their focus and rhythm along the way, finishing a disappointing 11th. If this had to happen, it is better that it happens in the fall season, Peterson said. Now we just have to take this experience and learn from it.The competition at Princeton was fierce. GW rowed against some of the best teams in the nation, including squads from Princeton, Cornell and Georgetown universities. The rowers are anticipating great success this year. Freshman Jamie Delinger expressed excitement at how much faster the crew has already become.We’ve already improved since the Head of the Potomac, Delinger said. I’m looking forward to the spring.