GW continues search for armed suspects

University officials have no leads after a second floor Marvin Center office was robbed last week, said Barbara Porter, director of Public Affairs.

Metropolitan Police is continuing to look for suspects based on the descriptions from the victims and what we put on the crime alert, Porter said.

Last Tuesday’s armed robbery of the GW Food Service’s office prompted Marvin Center management and other University officials to reconsider the way in which money is handled in those offices as well as security at the Marvin Center.

University Police is working with the management in the Marvin Center to standardize the way cash is handled, Porter said. The amount of money taken was not determined yet because she said the food service contractor, Aramark, has not completed its audit.

GW protects the Marvin Center with 24-hour security patrol and security cameras, Porter said.

We still view this as an isolated incident, she said. We’re going to continue our patrol procedures.

Porter said UPD determined that the current patrol is adequate, reiterating its belief that the robbery was an isolated incident. UPD Director Dolores Stafford could not be reached for comment.

Ten thousand students and staff pass through the Marvin Center each day. For some, the robbery raises concerns.

I’ve only seen security in one section of the Marvin Center, freshman Alex Ratzlaff said. Why does it take an incident for the University to react?

Monika Reyes, a freshman who works on the Marvin Center second floor, said she feels safe.

I felt safe before the robbery and after.I saw a lot more people on the floor, and there was more security, she said.

MPD is continuing the investigation. According to a crime alert, the first suspect is described as a black male, 6-feet 2-inches tall, medium build, in his early to mid-30s and wore jeans, a blue jacket and a hat. The second suspect is a black male, 6-feet 2-inches tall, slim build, in his early to mid-30s, and wore jeans and a green jacket.