Women’s tennis winners at home

The GW women’s tennis team defeated visiting Towson University 6-3 Wednesday at Mount Vernon in its first match of the season.

The victory was led by the impressive performances by No. 5 singles player Lisa Borromeo and No. 6 Megan Goldsmith. Borromeo, a 5-6 sophomore, stepped up for GW – winning her match in dominating fashion 6-2, 6-1. Goldsmith, another sophomore, only gave up four games in her match, winning 6-3, 6-1. Head coach Jeanne Gengler Swiacki was pleased with her team’s efforts in its home opener.

“It was our first match at home, and everyone felt terrific,” Gengler Swiacki said. “There were a fair number of students out, and we had good weather. It was great to be at home.”

Borromeo also teamed with sophomore Ashley Lucia, winning their doubles match 8-1.

“Lisa just handed it to her opponent and had a solid win,” Gengler Swiacki said. “Megan was able to put together a clean win.”

Freshman Tracy Wei defeated Towson’s Terry Dumansky in No. 1 singles play, winning the competitive match 7-5, 6-4. Senior Ghada Skaff, the team’s usual No. 1 player, was placed at No. 2 because of a strained left wrist. Skaff played despite the injury but lost to Megan Scott 6-3, 6-2. Gengler Swiacki called Skaff’s efforts “incredible.”

Third-seeded sophomore Katarina Stastny fell for GW 6-1, 6-3, but sophomore transfer Susie Coggin won a tough battle 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4 singles.

In other doubles action, Wei and Stastny won their match 8-5, but the team of Skaff and Coggin had to withdraw because of Skaff’s injury.

Gengler Swiacki said that the victory over Towson was a good indicator that her team has improved from last year.

“There are two things you have to do in competition,” Gengler Swiacki said. “First you have to take time away from the opponent, and you have to move up the baseline.”

Although Gengler Swiacki said her team has not yet accomplished either of those strategies, the coach said the team’s fundamentals are improving. And those fundamentals will be tested in two weekends when GW will join Colgate and Rutgers universities at the Princeton Invitational in Princeton, N.J.