Students raise money with date auction

Bachelors and bachelorettes participating in the Singles’ Auction used spirited salsa steps and flushed smiles to garner more than $200 for a Latin-American scholarship fund Friday night.

The money raised will contribute to a scholarship fund for an exemplary Latin-American GW student chosen by the Latinos For Progress executive board.

Hip-hop, salsa and house music set the tone in the Marvin Center Ballroom, which was filled with metallic balloons and about 70 participants and audience members. Singles sashayed down the stage as a host listed their major, activities and facts about them.

Singles up for bid comprised a diverse group, ranging from LFP members and members of the Association of Caribbean Students to brothers from Alpha Phi Alpha.

“I was calling people from fraternities and other organizations, asking for any volunteers to please take part for a good cause,” the LFP’s Faisha Geiger said. “Since this is LFP’s first year sponsoring a date auction, we asked Alpha Phi Alpha for help, because they have had experience with this.”

Students participated in bidding wars that reached up to $65 for a date. Date options ranged from movie tickets and club passes to dinner certificates for Paolo’s Ristorante in Georgetown.

“I had to outbid my friend, and I turned to her and was like `what are you doing?’ But it was all in fun,” said bidder Dionyssus Martin, who contributed $54 to the fund.

ACS member Francois Medrad admitted being a little nervous before going on stage.

“I agreed to take part because the proceeds go to a scholarship fund, and the event is in the spirit of fun,” Medrad said.

Alpha Phi Alpha brother David Burt stood on stage watching orange markers fly up until someone bid $65, the highest bid of the night.

“We want to continue to have fund-raising events, so that hopefully we can establish a scholarship fund of at least $600,” LFP Executive Chairwoman Silvana Del Carpio said.