Hippodromania! — staff editorial

GW students will soon have a place to go on campus at night that will have activities that don’t involve alcohol consumption.

The fifth floor of the Marvin Center – newly dubbed the Hippodrome – will house new arcade games, televisions with DirecTV, a dance floor, a diner and a cyber lounge, where students can surf the Internet and check e-mail. The remodeled fifth floor also will have a bowling alley and pingpong and billiards tables as it did before the renovation.

This new entertainment center may give students a fun non-alcoholic option for amusement. Moreover, the Hippodrome may build school spirit at a University where students often feel that they are overlooked by administrators. Students will have a place to congregate where they can relax and enjoy themselves without feeling the pressures of schoolwork.

As positive an environment as the Hippodrome will likely be, some improvements could make it better. The hours of operation should be extended to 24 hours on weekends and later on weekdays. The Metro closes at 1 a.m., and few local businesses stay open late, so students would surely patronize a campus location that stays open 24 hours.

Also, the bowling alley will not be using automated scoring at it did before because of the Y2K problem. Though it might seem small, bowling is a major drawing point of the Hippodrome, and automated scoring should be installed.

But those problems are minor in comparison to the what the Hippodrome will provide for students – a social alternative to drinking. Too often social life at GW is polarized between those who drink and those who choose not to drink.

The Hippodrome will be a place where all students can come and have a good time in a positive and stress-free atmosphere.