Bond, GW bond — staff editorial

GW’s request for a $380-million tax-exempt bond from the District – despite local opposition – should be approved because granting GW the money will have a positive effect on the city.

At a hearing before the D.C. City Council’s Committee on Economic Reform Thursday, GW officials and students defended the University’s case for receiving the bond, while some Foggy Bottom residents urged city officials to deny GW’s bid.

Residents are questioning whether the District will benefit from GW receiving the bond, $360 million of which would be tax exempt. The answer is undoubtedly yes. The University already provides hundreds of jobs for District residents, and the bond will allow GW more money to hire workers.

Furthermore, countless GW students participate in community service activities centered in the District. Foggy Bottom residents might not realize GW’s strong commitment to community service because the majority of service is provided in neighborhoods with greater need than Foggy Bottom.

In an ill-advised move, the Foggy Bottom Advisory Neighborhood Commission requested that the bond be denied until GW agrees to cap its undergraduate population at 6,000 students while keeping 80 percent of students housed within campus boundaries, which excludes several residence halls. Protesting Foggy Bottom residents should keep their priorities in mind when making demands, in addition to making their demands realistic.

Protests by some local residents need to be weighed against the University’s greater influence on the District. GW brings jobs, money and talented people to D.C.

Ultimately, an improved GW benefits the city of Washington, so GW deserves the bond.