Bar Belle: Mr. Day’s

Originally Published 10/07/99

Bar: Mr. Day’s

Where: 1111 19th St., NW

Crowd: twentysomethings

Getting In: they ID you at the door.

Prices: drink specials help to lighten the blow

Food: full kitchen until 10 p.m. but don’t eat too much or you’ll get stomach cramps on the dance floor

Dancing: yup

Pick-ups: yup – just smile

Pluses: lots of dancing, fun GW crowd on Tuesdays

Minuses: usually the same people and it’s most fun on Tuesdays.

Unless you live in a shell or don’t have class on Tuesday or Wednesday, you know what Mr. Day’s is. You know that a lot of GW students go there on Tuesday nights. And you know most don’t make it to class the next morning if they have a 9:30 class.

Fortunately, the Bar Belle, a regular Mr. Day’s attendee, doesn’t have class until later in the day and can sleep in. After a night of drinking and dancing at Mr. Day’s, especially if you’re the Bar Belle, you’re going to need your sleep.

On Tuesdays, by far the best night to go, bottles of Bud Lite and Miller Lite are only $2.20. Not bad for a bottle of beer in D.C. Mixed drinks are more expensive, so stick with the beer. Besides, it’s easier to dance with a bottle in your hand than a flimsy plastic cup.

Speaking of dancing, make sure you wear your dancing shoes to Mr. Day’s. A disc jockey pumps out the tunes, and the dance floor is packed. Sometimes, the music can be a little heavy on the ’80s tunes. Although the Bar Belle has no complaints, she’ll groove to just about anything, others in her group muttered about the music selection.

One of the best things about Mr. Day’s is you’ll know tons of people there. That also is a bit of a downer. If you’re looking to meet new people, don’t count on it at Mr. Day’s on Tuesdays. Other nights are a different story.

Mr. Day’s offers the perfect excuse to procrastinate – drinking, dancing and friends. With most GW students only having classes Monday through Thursday, Tuesday could be called mid-week. So, you could just look at Mr. Day’s as a way to get over the mid-week hump. But, do you really need an excuse to have fun?