Students share stories of studies overseas

A group of seasoned and prospective international travelers gathered Saturday in Stuart Hall to talk about the positives and the pitfalls of traveling abroad.

Travis Major, outbound travel education manager for Hostelling International-American Youth Hostels, led the presentation, entitled “World Travel 101: Galloping the Globe for Less.” He covered many issues about traveling abroad, including money, safety and transportation.

“I learned more playing a cut-throat game of Monopoly with a bunch of Australians, a few people from Taiwan and a jaded Canadian backpacker than I ever did in my international relations class,” Major said.

Some students said they found ways to combine study and travel in foreign countries.

Senior Dave Hubbard studied abroad in Australia last fall, and he attended the presentation. Hubbard, a geology major, said he was drawn to Australia by an ecology program offered there.

“I loved it,” said Hubbard. “I think Australia was the perfect place for me.”

Senior Emily Asel said she enjoyed traveling to Germany last fall “just to get out of here.” Asel minored in German and studied with an American program sponsored by GW.

“I knew it would be good, but it ended up being such an awesome time,” she said.

Major told the audience members to make sure they have backpacks, shoes, and guidebooks when traveling abroad, and he said it is extremely important to keep copies of all travel documents. He said a good attitude is the key to a pleasurable traveling experience.

“When in doubt, watch and see how the locals do it, and imitate what they’re doing,” Major said.

Major emphasized the importance of safety when traveling.

“The main thing, above all else, is just exercise the same precautions you would at home,” he said.

A large part of Major’s workshop focused on accommodations at hostels worldwide. He said the New York hostel is “the coolest and cheapest place to stay in Manhattan.”

Hostelling International hostels are open to all travelers and reservations are welcome but not required, Major said. Offering an affordable and eclectic traveling environment, hostels are usually dormitory-style living with a communal kitchen, he said.

First-time European traveler Bridget Yupcavage attended the presentation and plans to go abroad for the next academic year. Yupcavage plans to study in Florence, Italy, in the spring of next year.

“I’m just excited to go places,” she said.