GW Brown Bag Lunch series stresses fitness

The office of Recreational Sports and Fitness is teaming up with Dining Services this semester to offer a seminar series that promotes fitness around campus.

In a three-part Brown Bag Lunch series, GW administrators and experts, hired from companies such as GW food vendor Aramark, discuss health issues pertaining to campus life.

Aubre Jones, director of Recreation, Intramural and Club Sports, spoke Wednesday about exercise opportunities around campus during the second part of the Brown Bag Lunch series.

“The key is to sweat,” Jones said. “You can do anything. Just try to have fun, enjoy yourself and get some exercise.”

Jones said what students and faculty eat may not matter as long as they utilize exercise resources at Mount Vernon campus and the Smith Center. Jones said students should begin living healthier by joining exercise science classes, recreational clubs or intramural sport teams.

“I work at the Smith Center, and I feel the seminar explained a lot about opportunities on campus really well,” said junior Andrea Philpot, who attended the event.

The University offers most sports at an intramural and club level for athletes who don’t play at the varsity level or for sports not available at the varsity level, Jones said.

Jones said it was important to form an exercise habit in order to foster a healthy future. GW is building a new health and fitness facility, scheduled to open next fall, to encourage a healthier GW community, Jones said.

The new facility will have space for more modern machines. The new center will attempt to increase the number of students that exercise.

A registered dietitian will discuss fueling up for finals Dec. 1 at the next seminar in the Brown Bag Lunch series. Students are encouraged to bring their own lunches or get them through GW, hence the name of the series.