Colonial women split weekend matches

The GW women’s soccer team suffered a tough loss at Fordham Friday, but on the way home GW won a 2-1 overtime decision over La Salle in Philadelphia. The win improved GW to 2-9 and 2-1 in the Atlantic 10.

GW 2, La Salle 1 (OT)
Sunday, Oct. 3

GW sophomore goalkeeper Shannon Ashfield made 15 saves to preserve the Colonial women’s victory over La Salle .

In the 23rd minute, senior Katy McQuillin scored for GW to give the Colonial women its third straight 1-0 lead in three A-10 matches. La Salle’s Blair Hontz tied the match in the 38th minute.

The score remained tied until the 104th minute, when freshman Caroline Donaghue found the net to keep the Colonial women above .500 in the A-10. The goal also meant GW had scored two goals in a game for the second time this season and for the second consecutive match.

The Explorers (5-6, 1-2 A-10) outshot the Colonial women 33-13. GW is 1-1 in overtime this season.

Fordham 3, GW 2
Friday, Oct. 1

The Colonial women failed to stay undefeated in A-10 play after losing the lead and the game to Fordham (2-5-2, 1-1 A-10) in the Bronx, N.Y. Fordham scored three times in the second half to secure its first A-10 victory.

In the 20th minute, GW sophomore Kesha Christoph took assists from Donaghue and sophomore Erin Coppedge to give GW a 1-0 lead. The Colonial women held this lead through halftime, but in the 57th minute, Fordham’s Meghan Rogers headed in the equalizing goal.

Twenty minutes of scoreless soccer followed until GW senior Carina Sonberg assisted sophomore Tiffany Williams with the go-ahead goal, giving GW two goals in a game for the first time all season.

The lead held for only 54 seconds, though, as Fordham’s Casey Finnegan turned a corner kick into a 2-2 tie. In the 86th minute, the Rams’ Emily Parella fired a strike into the upper right corner of the goal for Fordham’s second victory of the season.

Fordham outshot GW 14-6.