Rocking to the beat of a different drum

Going to law school is not the usual path to rock ‘n’ roll stardom.

But don’t tell GW Law School student Chris Bonavia.

Bonavia, a third-year law student at Foggy Bottom, lives two different lives – one as a student and one as a guitarist for a local band.

He even works part-time as a research assistant for a professor, but don’t let that fool you – he looks to music as a “career kinda thing,” rather than a fun hobby.

Bonavia and three close friends play a Wednesday night gig at Rhodeside Grill in Arlington, Va. They jam out tunes on acoustic, electric and bass guitars, piano and drums to create sounds Bonavia compares to music by Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan and R.E.M.

Bonavia says his music doesn’t fit a single genre, a theme that applies to his life as well.

“At times it’s sort of folk rock, and at times it’s emotionally charged,” Bonavia said.

Juniper Lane, which derives its name from the street the band practices on, was formed much like any other college band. Bonavia started writing music with a friend his senior year at the University of Virginia and later met her and two other friends in D.C. Bonavia says he and Vivion Smith, the band’s lead singer, ended up in the same city.

He considers the band lucky to have had a quick and easy start, especially in an area thriving with musical talent.

Juniper Lane formed almost a year ago and was offered its first gig within two weeks. An Arlington bar, Bad Habits, needed a band to cover Thanksgiving night and Bonavia was more that willing to oblige.

“I was surprised so many people showed on Thanksgiving,” Bonavia said. “It was great.”

Juniper Lane was offered its first “real” gig, a weekly time slot at Rhodeside Grill, after Bad Habits shut down – and again Bonavia said he was happy to comply.

Bonavia does not have any sob stories of a starving musician searching for his first big break. He lives comfortably in Arlington and is attempting to improve himself through higher education. He says a stable music career, while less exciting than most music documentaries, suits him well.

Ironically, his favorite rock ‘n’ roll story occurred at the Velvet Lounge – the first, and only, D.C. gig the band played.

“We were playing upstairs in a place with a staircase behind where the band played,” Bonavia said. “At some point during the performance, homeless people came up and started dancing behind us.”

For now, Bonavia studies copyrights, trademarks and contracts to prepare for the field of entertainment law and writes music when he feels the urge. If the music thing doesn’t work out for him, Bonavia says he will always have law to fall back on – the advantage to living a dual life.

Juniper Lane plans to release its first CD, Counting, soon. Bonavia said the band gained skill and experience while in the recording studio last year.

Bonavia has some advice for aspiring musicians.

“Go for it,” Bonavia said. “There’s always time for more `serious’ avenues later.”

-Francesca Di Meglio contributed to this report.