News Briefs

SA chooses freshman senators

The Student Association Senate chose two students to fill its freshman senator seats at Tuesday night’s meeting.

The Senate chose Josh Rothstein and Joe Ardito from a group of six finalists. As senators, the pair will not have voting privileges but will offer input at Senate and committee meetings, especially on issues pertaining to freshmen.

“I need to be an advocate for my fellow freshmen while looking at University-wide issues,” Rothstein said.

Rothstein, from the Columbian School of Arts and Sciences, said he plans to push for an increase in security on campus and the publication of the SA budget in The GW Hatchet.

“I hope I can represent what the freshmen want here and stay close to my constituents,” said Ardito, also from CSAS.

He said he will push for an analysis of the SA budget and the allocation of funds for all student groups.

Both senators said they will plan meetings with freshmen from other residence halls to stay in touch with constituents.

Steam trips alarm, HOVA evacuated

Steam caused by water buildup in an elevator shaft forced sleeping residents of the Hall on Virginia Avenue to evacuate the building early Monday morning.

“There was water in the elevator shaft,” said Vania Smith, HOVA community director. “The water met the chains. As the chains were in motion, the water was heated and steam came out of that.”

The smoke alarms in the elevator shaft detected the steam and triggered the alarm at 7:45 a.m. The local fire department was not summoned, but the building engineers and University Police handled the incident, Smith said.

Residents safely left the building within 15 minutes and returned at about 9 a.m., Smith said.

The water buildup in the shaft is still under investigation.

-Zeb Eckert

SA chooses freshman senators

Steam trips alarm, HOVA evacuated

-Zeb Eckert