Mystery, Alaska leaves unanswered questions

3 Hatchets

Despite great hockey scenes and a convincing cast, Mystery, Alaska (Hollywood Pictures) is more “Northern Exposure” than it is Youngblood.

The movie centers on the town of Mystery, Alaska, where hockey is more than a sport – it is a way of life. The importance of the weekly Saturday game, when the best players come out for an exhibition game in front of the whole town, is made known from the start. Participation in the game is a status symbol in the small, remote community.

The conflict in the plot begins when John Biebe (Russell Crowe, L.A. Confidential) is cut from the team because he is too old and has lost his touch. Shortly after, Charlie Danner (Hank Azaria, Mystery Men) enters the scene. He’s a journalist who grew up in Mystery and has arranged for the New York Rangers to play a game of “pond hockey” with the locals as a promotional idea for his network.

The movie loses speed as a great debate breaks out about whether the Rangers actually will play the game. The audience knows from the beginning the game will happen – otherwise there wouldn’t be a movie. Still, the majority of the movie focuses on the conflict in the town caused by the possibility of the Rangers’ arrival, instead of on the hockey. Some of this conflict is interesting, but most of it is unneeded.

The movie does not sufficiently concentrate on hockey. Instead, the plot is filled with quick, unrealistic conflicts and resolutions. The mayor finds out about his wife cheating on him with one of the players and quickly forgives him, so he is distracted for the game. Biebe gets into many fights with his wife over how much she sees Charlie, but this conflict is never resolved. Charlie goes from hating the town with a passion to cheering on the home team in an unconvincing manner.

The slow pace of the movie is offset in places by great performances from the supporting cast. Michael Buie gives an excellent performance as Connor Banks, the team’s quiet but firm high scorer and all-around best player. Given the little character development Banks is given throughout the movie, Buie does a superb job of building toward the surprise ending.

Also giving a commendable performance, Ron Eldard (Deep Impact) plays the promiscuous right wing, adding the only true comedy to the film as he describes his sexual escapades and misfortunes. Maury Chaykin (A Life Less Ordinary</i.) is likable as the town's district attorney, Bailey Pruitt, who does all he can to get the Rangers to come to Mystery.

But in the end, good solo performances, terrific hockey scenes, and a surprise ending cannot save Mystery, Alaska from faltering because it tries to be more than a decent hockey movie.

Mystery, Alaska opens in theaters Friday.