Footloose freshmen adjust to college life

Adjusting to college is an exciting experience for almost all freshmen. As a member of a Division I soccer team, freshman soccer players kick off their college careers with responsibilities and expectations far different from the average first-year student.

This season, the GW men’s soccer team added eight freshmen to its roster in the hopes of improving upon last year’s 5-12-2 overall record. The freshmen come from as nearby as Beltsville, Md., and as far away as Iceland. These students hope to bring high levels of success to the program as they begin their new journey in Washington, D.C.

The freshmen added to this year’s team are Riccardo Forno, Andrew Cardim, Kirk Lewis, Fredrik Omarsson, Matthew Osborne, Ethan Hughes, Gregory Kahn and Bjarni Thrastarson.

Juggling their academic and athletic schedules has been something these freshmen have had to get used to.

“(It) can sometimes be difficult, especially when we go on road trips,” Thrastarson said.

Hughes said that his adjustment to GW has been extremely smooth, and he enjoys the soccer demands which keep him busy.

“I do have to deprive myself of my daily nap, but other than that everything is fine,” Forno added.

The newest Colonials, along with their fellow freshmen, are finding out that there are things they would like to change.

“I don’t like eating this junk food all the time at J Street, and I still have 1,350 points on my meal plan each semester – which I strongly disapprove of,” Omarsson said.

Cardim agreed with his teammate, saying that he is bothered that he eats similar meals every day.

So far this season, the men’s soccer team is 0-1 at home, where they have minimal support from the home crowd. This is another thing the newcomers would like to see change.

“I would like to have a soccer stadium on campus because when we are playing at South Riding, no one will ever come watch us play,” Thrastarson said.

With the excitement surrounding their freshman year and their introduction to the soccer program, the players still remember that they have two sets of responsibilities.

“Academically, I hope to receive my degree here and begin a career I will enjoy doing for the rest of my life,” Forno said. “Athletically, I am determined to bring an Atlantic 10 Championship back to GW and to expand the soccer program for future athletes that want to come here.”