Bar Belle: Clyde’s of Georgetown

Originally Published 09/30/99

Bar: Clyde’s of Georgetown
Where: 3236 M St., NW
Crowd: twentysomethings to mid-30s
Getting In: Didn’t card at the door, but you need an ID to get drinks
Prices: Moderate, but not cheap
Food: Kitchen closes at 1 a.m. on weekends, Saturday and Sunday brunch is served from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Dancing: none
Pick-ups: Maybe if you’re looking for someone older
Pluses: Quieter and less crowded on busy bar nights, few college kids
Minuses: Few college kids

Clyde’s is a bar you can actually take your parents to and still have fun. On Friday and Saturday nights, when there’s long lines to get in at other bars on M Street, the Bar Belle easily found a booth at Clyde’s. Its quiet, intimate atmosphere allows bar-goers to have a conversation. Unlike other bars, ordering is easy, and the bartenders are friendly. You don’t have to push and squeeze your way through masses of people to get to the bar.

The drinks, however, aren’t cheap. Two White Russians, a mudslide and a soda cost the better part of $20. Still, the Bar Belle thought the White Russian was one of the better drinks she has had and the mudslide was pretty tasty as well. If you can, get your folks to pay.

If your parents want to have a night out in Georgetown, they won’t feel out of place at Clyde’s. It’s classy. The tables have real tablecloths and silverware, there’s no sticky floors, and the choices of munchies are more than chips and fries. The crowd is mostly professionals and people who graduated from college long ago.

Even though there’s no bumpin’ music you can dance to and you’ll have to shell out a few more bucks, Clyde’s provides a chill place to have a couple of drinks and forget you’re in college for a few hours.