Students partake in root beer kegs and other treats

The Program Board and the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship teamed up for the second annual Root Beer Kegger on the Quad Thursday.

“The event was put on to offer GW students a break from classes and a chance to enjoy a free root beer float,” IVCF President Erin Hagerty said.

One member said IVCF is seeking name recognition.

“We wanted to get our name out, so people would know what we are about,” IVCF member Joe Manning said.

The Program Board split the funding of the event with the IVCF to show support for a student group that receives less recognition than larger groups, said Seth Weinert, Program Board executive vice chair.

“The Program Board wants to be part of the events that other students groups put on,” Weinert said. “This is a great chance for us to reach out to a constituency that we normally don’t have much contact with.”

Dan Breed, an IVCF member, came up with the idea for the kegger and said he was pleased that more than 250 students turned out for the event. Other event organizers and participants said they felt similarly.

“It went really well – it was an unbelievable opportunity to get our name out there,” Hagerty said.

“It was a beautiful day, and I know we were all especially grateful for the tasty treats,” sophomore Chris Kiely said. “I hope they continue this tradition.”

The IVCF will coordinate other events to spread its name and lobby in support of a GW gospel choir, which the group hopes to form before the school year ends, Hagerty said.