Soccer wins match

The GW women’s soccer team started its 1999 Atlantic 10 season just the way they ended last year’s. Unfortunately, the same thing could not be said for the men’s team.

The Colonial women (1-8, 1-0 A-10) won the first half of the Virginia Tech doubleheader, ending the program’s worst-ever losing streak at eight games, but the Colonial men (1-5-1, 0-1 A-10) could not end their own losing streak as they dropped their fifth in a row.

GW 1, Virginia Tech 0
Sunday, Sept. 26

The Colonial women continued their domination of conference rivals yesterday, defeating Virginia Tech (4-3, 0-1 A-10) for a 1-0 conference record. Last year, the women opened 0-6, but went 9-2 in the A-10.

Yesterday’s victory came when sophomore defender Tiffany Williams scored on a pass from freshman forward Caroline Donaghue in the 73rd minute of the match.

Virginia Tech had eight first-half shots, none better than Victoria Sarfo-Kantaka’s eight-yarder in the 29th minute. GW goalkeeper Shannon Ashfield was there for the save.

“That save absolutely changed the flow of the game,” freshman midfielder Kim Sanders said. “It was such a close range shot, but Shannon was right on top of it. It was an amazing thing to see.”

Virginia Tech 2, GW 1
Sunday, Sept. 26

The Colonials were not so lucky in their conference opener against the Hokies (5-4, 1-0 A-10), wasting another fine effort from sophomore Jason Holloway, who tallied his team-leading fifth goal in seven games.

Sophomore forward Okey Ogbuawa scored twice midway through the second half to lift Virginia Tech to the win.

The Colonials will host Fordham on Friday as they try to avoid tying the longest losing streak in GW men’s history.